Lend a hand
March 31, 2022
Would you love to contribute to your community, but you’re not sure how best to put your talents to use? Have you wondered about volunteering your time, but don’t know where it might be needed?
Watch this space for ideas! In this new, semi-regular column, we’ll be keeping you up to date with one-off and ongoing volunteer opportunities that you might be interested to take on.
• Volunteer at the 1875 Gallery – Take a shift or two each week to help run the community art gallery within Old Stoney. Contact Rocky Courchaine at 283-3666 for more information.
• Volunteer at the Crook County Museum – Introduce visitors and locals alike to the treasures of Crook County’s history by helping out at the museum in Old Stoney. Contact Rocky Courchaine at 283-3666 for more information.
• Senior Companions – This paid volunteer opportunity involves spending time with older adults in the community, assisting and supporting them as needed. Companions must be over the age of 55 and physically able to handle the responsibilities of being a companion. Contact Crook County Senior Services at 283-1711.
• Meal delivery – Help Crook County Senior Services deliver fresh, home-cooked daily meals to homebound seniors across the area. Call 283-1711 for more information.
• Creek clean-up – Keep the creek flowing free by clearing it of brush and other blockages. A team of volunteers meets to take on this task and would welcome your assistance. Contact City Hall at 283-3451 for more information.
• Courtyard clean-up – Keep the courtyard spick and span for residents of the long-term unit at Crook County Hospital to enjoy. Contact the Life Enrichment department at 283-3501 (extension 260/261) for more information.
• Paint a mural – The residents of the long-term care unit at Crook County Hospital would love the chance to enjoy your artistic skills in an outside wall mural. Contact the Life Enrichment department at 283-3501 (extension 260/261) for more information.
• Spend time with long-term care residents – Enjoy one-on-one time with residents to visit, reminisce or even teach them new skills. Contact the Life Enrichment department at 283-3501 (extension 260/261) for more information.
• Assist the county fire response – Volunteer firefighters are always needed. Additional opportunities are also often available, from cooking or shopping for snacks for firefighters during an incident to mechanical work, sourcing gear, delivering essentials to fire scenes and grant writing. Visit crookcountywy.gov to find your local fire zone warden.
• Adopt a flower planter – Plant and maintain one of the city’s flower planters throughout the spring and summer. Contact City Hall at 283-3451 for more information.
• Adopt a flower bed – Plant and maintain a flower bed at one of the city parks throughout the spring and summer. Contact City Hall at 283-3451 for more information.
• Adopt a tree – Water, trim and maintain a decorative city tree. Contact City Hall at 283-3451 for more information.
• Organize an event for Sundance Square – with the newest city park now available for public use, the city would love to hear from citizens with ideas for events and gatherings. If you would be interested in hosting a game, contest, ice cream social, concert or any other appropriate event, contact City Hall at 283-3451.
• Organize a clean-up day – regular and annual clean-up days can help a city keep its good looks all year round. If you would like to organize or participate in such an event, contact City Hall at 283-3451.
Do you know of a volunteering opportunity that you’d like to see added to this list? We hope to expand this list over the coming months to encompass all the many ways there are to help our community. Email [email protected] or call 283-3411 with details and your contact information.