Public Service Commission
November 17, 2022
Pursuant to the Wyoming Administrative Procedure Act and the Wyoming Public Service Commission’s (Commission) Rules, the Commission hereby gives notice of Powder River Energy Corporation’s (PRECorp or the Cooperative) Application for authority to decrease its Cost of Power Adjustment (COPA) by $1,151,836 per annum, effective January 1, 2023, to reflect a change in average wholesale power costs.
1. PRECorp is a non-profit cooperative public utility subject to the Commission’s jurisdiction. (Wyo. Stat. §§ 37-1-101(a)(vi)(C) and 37-2-112).
2. On November 1, 2022, PRECorp submitted its Application seeking Commission approval to adjust its total COPA factors, which will result in a net decrease in the Cooperative’s revenues of $1,151,836 per annum, effective January 1, 2023, pursuant to Commission Rule Chapter 3, Section 26, and in accordance with the COPA procedures set forth in the Cooperative’s Billing Adjustments Tariff. The COPA is a mechanism by which the Cooperative recovers and/or returns changes in its’ wholesale power cost relative to the amount of power cost embedded in base retail rates. The Cooperative’s Application outlines the proposed COPA factors, which reflect the projected cost of power for January through December 2023 using projected billing units for the period and the applicable wholesale rates from Basin Electric Power Cooperative (Basin), the Cooperative’s wholesale power supplier. Basin’s rates are subject to the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission’s (FERC) approval but are not proposed to change by January 1, 2023. In the event FERC makes any adjustments to Basin’s filed rates, PRECorp proposes to address these alterations by reflecting the changes in its balancing account. Additionally, the proposed COPA factors reflect the reconciliation of the COPA revenue for the months of October 2021 through September 2022, and the accrual of interest on any over-recovered balances during the true-up period.
3. The COPA factors proposed in this Application and the resulting change in revenue are listed below:
COPA Factor Proposed
COPA Factor Change in Revenue
All Rate Classes except LP-TOU Transmission, LPT and LPT-CBM $0.000791 $0.001821 $1,029,241
LPT-CM $0.000022 $(0.002181) $(1,977,718)
LPT-CBM $0.000041 $(0.002410) $(120,717)
LP-TOU Transmission $0.000634 $(0.001203) $(82,642)
4. This is not a complete description of PRECorp’s Application. You may review the Application at PRECorp’s business office located in Sundance, Wyoming and at the Commission’s office in Cheyenne, Wyoming, or online at: https://dms.wyo.gov/external/publicusers.aspx (enter Record No. 17190).
5. Anyone desiring to file a statement, intervention petition, protest or request for a public hearing in this matter must do so, in writing, on or before December 7, 2022. Petitions shall set forth the grounds of the proposed intervention or request for hearing as well as the position and the interest of the petitioner in this proceeding. Please mention Docket No. 10014-226-CP-22 in your communications.
6. If you wish to participate in this matter and you require reasonable accommodation for a disability, please contact the Commission at (307) 777-7427, or write to the Commission at 2515 Warren Avenue, Suite 300, Cheyenne, Wyoming 82002, to make arrangements. Communications impaired persons may also contact the Commission by accessing Wyoming Relay at 711.
Dated: November 7, 2022
Publish: November 10 and 17, 2022