Continuing the Crook County News Since 1884

Fire claims family home

A structure fire near Oshoto last week saw a family home already engulfed in flames by the time firefighters arrived on scene.

“The structure burned all the way to the ground,” says Dallas Burch, Oshoto Zone Warden, confirming that the house was a total loss.

The landowners called the fire department at 1:30 p.m. on June 12 to report that their main house was on fire.

Five engines responded from the Oshoto Fire Zone, as well as a couple of nearby landowners with personal vehicles. Three units from the Moorcroft Fire Department also answered the call.

Firefighters were on scene for around three to four hours, ensuring that the fire did not spread into the grass and protecting nearby structures.

“There was an outbuilding, a shed, that was close, and some big propane tanks that we had to keep cool,” Burch says.

“We wet the shed down so we kept it from burning, and we actually moved the propane tanks because they were getting pretty hot.”

The homeowners were able to exit the building and no injuries to firefighters or the public were reported.

At this time, the cause of the fire has not been ascertained. An inspection has not yet taken place, says Burch.