Sundance Times - Continuing the Crook County News Since 1884

Ask G&F


March 21, 2019

Q: “When I apply for a hunting license, how does Game and Fish use my application fee?”

A: Your hunting license non-refundable fee application fee ($15 for nonresidents, $5 for residents) goes toward supporting wildlife by providing funding to pay for wildlife damage claims. Damage claim payments are paid to individuals, in accordance with state statutes and commission regulation, who experience confirmed damage caused by game birds, big game and trophy game to private property.

An individual can claim actual damages to land, growing cultivated crops, extraordinary damage to grass, livestock, stored crops, seed crops, improvements and beehives and honey.

In order for landowners to receive damage payments, they must allow hunting access to their property for the species causing the damage. They also must notify Game and Fish within 15 days of discovering the damage so Game and Fish can investigate, confirm and evaluate damages and associated compensation amount.

Last year, Game and Fish paid about $1.165 million to individuals for big game, trophy game and game bird damages.

Submitted by Scott Edberg, Acting Chief of Wildlife


Our Family of Publications Includes:

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2020